filed your KRA tax returns whether physically at the KRA offices or online through the KRA online portal. This article will show you how to File KRA Tax Returns Online.
First things first though; here are the documents you need to File KRA Tax Returns Online:
- Employer information for the employed individuals
- Employer’s PIN if you’re employed. Request your employer to give you the P9 Form. It contains all the information you’ll need to file the returns
- Financial Statements
- Insurance Premium Certificate/ PIN of
Underwriter/Mortgage interest certificate
- Withholding tax certificates where applicable
- Any other documents relating to income you received or
deductions you need to claim
I am assuming at this point that you already completed the KRA Pin Registration at some point and you now have your KRA Pin.
How to File KRA Tax Returns Online Step By Step
Here’s how to file for the KRA tax returns online:
|Courtesy of KRA|
- Visit the KRA portal site
- Click on ‘e-Returns’ or hover on ‘Returns’ on the navigation bar and click on ‘File Returns’
- Select the type, Enter your taxpayer’s PIN and select the Tax obligation applicable to you before clicking on ‘Next’
- The next page will walk you through the filling process. Basically, you just need to click on the links provided to either download the Tax Returs form in Excel or ODS
- Once the excel return is downloaded and opened, go to the ‘Read Me Sheet’ and enable your macros as per the steps provided and close the excel return before opening it again.
- Fill out all the applicable areas like shown in the images below. If you are employed, you will need your P9 form because it contains all the information that you will need. See Below…
- Once done filling the form, ‘Validate’ and save it on your computer.
- Return to the itax KRA page. You might need to log in again if you have been logged out.
- Select Obligation once more and the period for which you are filling the returns, upload the zipped filled out Returns form, agree to the terms and select ‘Submit’.
- When asked whether you would like to upload the file, click on ‘OK’
- Done. Congratulations, you just filed your returns online.
Remember that you need to file the KRA tax returns each year by the end of June. Failing to file returns attracts a penalty of Ksh. 20,000
See Also: How to complete eCitizen application.