When you live in a tiny dorm room, cooking meals without a gas-stove is a real challenge. Ordering out is not only boring, but it can also rack up the expenses quite quickly, especially on a student budget. Here are some wholesome, delicious and pocket-friendly microwave (and toaster) recipes to help you get a balanced diet when you don’t have a full kitchen.
- Healthy Plantain
- 1 plantain, ripe
- ½ cup of water
- 2 paper towels
- ½ cup of milk
- Salt to taste
- Wrap the plantain in a moist paper towel and place in the microwave.
- Microwave for 2 minutes on medium.
- Peel and cut the plantain into pieces for serving as desired. Add salt to taste.
- French Toast in a Cup
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ¼ cup of milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- ¼ teaspoon of white sugar
- 2 slices bread, cut into cubes
- ¼ teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Melt butter in the bottom of a large microwave-safe mug for about 30 seconds. Tilt the mug to coat all sides with melted butter
- Stir in milk, egg, sugar, cinnamon and vanilla extract together in the mug
- Soak bread cubes into milk mixture
- Microwave on High until set for about 90 seconds
- Instant Ramen
- 1package ramen noodles
- 1cup of fresh spinach
- 3medium button mushrooms
- 2whole green onions
- 1large egg, optional
- 1tsp of chili garlic paste
- Prepare the ramen according to the directions given on the packet
- Add the seasoning packet and stir until dissolved
- Wash and slice your veggies
- Stir in all of your fresh veggies in the hot ramen broth
- Allow them to sit in the hot (not boiling) broth for 1-2 minutes or until slightly softened
- Make a well in the center of the pot and crack the egg into it. Allow the egg to poach in the broth until the whites are solid but the yolk is still runny
- Pour the soup into a bowl and serve with a dollop of chili garlic paste on the side
- Loaded Potato
- 1 russet potato, washed and scrubbed
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- ¼ cup of shredded cheddar cheese
- sour cream, to serve
- fresh chives, to serve
- salt, to taste
- Poke holes in the potato with a fork, then rub with oil and salt
- Place the potato, microwave for 7-9 minutes until it is tender
- Slice the potato in half, then use a fork to fluff up the insides
- Sprinkle the cheese on top, then microwave for another 30 seconds
- Top with sour cream and the chives
- Toast Mayai
- 2 eggs
- 2 slices of buttered bread
- Salt, paprika and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp. cooking oil
- Beat the eggs with salt, paprika and pepper.
- Brush oil on the non-stick sandwich maker plate.
- Add the eggs slowly, careful not to spill over the sides. An egg should comfortably fit in a half slice.
- Place the buttered bread on the other side of the toaster.
- Cover and switch on the toaster.
- Uncover after 1 minute to confirm the eggs are done. Leave the bread to finish toasting.
- Serve eggs on the toast and enjoy with your favorite cup of coffee or chai.
Now all you need is a smart Ramtons microwave oven to make these yummy meals!
Giving ideas for easy living, Ramtons believes in making your shopping journey easy from the point of purchase to the point of use. Our kitchen equipment is carefully selected, designed, and tested thoroughly and individually so that you can get a durable and affordable kitchen. Ramtons aims to make lives in the home and kitchen easier through innovative products, ample availability and strong after-sales support. Our focus is always on making our customer’s lives more convenient. Ramtons believes in providing prompt after-sales services to keep customers happy long after they’ve made a purchase.