Every employed or income generating Kenyan citizen needs to pay tax. By 30th of June every year, you should have filed your KRA tax returns whether physically at the KRA offices or online through the KRA online portal. This article will walk you through how you need to go about filing your KRA tax returns online.
First things first though; here are the documents you will be needing:
- Employer information for the employed individuals
- Employer’s PIN if you're employed. Request your employer to give you the P9 Form. It contains all the information you'll need to file the returns
- Financial Statements
- Insurance Premium Certificate/ PIN of Underwriter/Mortgage interest certificate
- Withholding tax certificates where applicable
- Any other documents relating to income you received or deductions you need to claim
- Visit the KRA portal site
- Click on 'e-Returns' or hover on 'Returns' on the navigation bar and click on 'File Returns'
- Select the type, Enter your taxpayer's PIN and select the Tax obligation applicable to you before clicking on 'Next'
- The next page will walk you through the filling process. Basically, you just need to click on the links provided to either download the Tax Returs form in Excel or ODS
- Fill out all the applicable areas in the downloaded tax returns form and save your document in your computer.
- You need to enable macros to be able to 'Validate' and Zip your File.
- Return to the page and select the period for which you are filling the returns, upload the zipped filled out Returns form, agree to the terms and select 'Submit'.
- When asked whether you would like to upload the file, click on 'OK'
- Done. Congratulations, you just filed your returns online.