If you ended up here, then you're probably tired of the disgusting white things at the back of your throat and would like to learn how to prevent tonsil stones. As much as their is no sure way to cure and prevent tonsil stones apart from tonsillectomy, there are a few things one can do to decrease their recurrence. Below are ways of preventing tonsoliths:
- Brush you teeth after every meal: Tonsil stones are basically caused by food remains in the mouth. It therefore goes without saying that reducing the food remains will in turn reduce the probability of the tonsil stones forming.
- Gurgle water after every meal: While brushing your teeth is a good way of getting rid of the food remains, some food that has been trapped in the tonsil pockets might prove hard to remove using a toothbrush. Water however has the magical power of reaching places that can prove difficult for a toothbrush.
- Dissolve the tonsil stones with vinegar: Getting rid of Tonsil stones becomes hard when they grow big. Small ones are easier to cough out. Occasional gurgling with vinegar ensures that they don't grow big as vinegar dissolves calcium which is the main component of the tonsil stones.
- Nasal irrigation: Mucus is one of the remains broken down by bacteria to form tonsil stones. Nasal irrigation therefore works by preventing the dripping of the mucus into the tonsil pockets.
- Use bacteria fighting mouth wash: Using a mouthwash kills the bacteria whose activity leaves tonsil stones in their wake. It is therefore one of the easy ways of preventing tonsil stones formation.